Where we are and where we will be

Where we are and where we will be
The idea of Edinburgh is a combination of place, soul and symbolic leadership of a nation

Tuesday 26 August 2008

He'll need more than a viking helmet for this job

I see that Tavish Scott has been elected leader of the Lib Dems. Interesting to note that the total electorate numbered less than than 2500 so it hardly a sign of a mass movement..

I have met Tavish on several occasions and found him to be a very nice man but whether that is enough to qualify him for the task now before him is open to question. He was however, the cause of one of the weirdest phone call I ever took as Leader of the Council. I was about make a speech at Edinburgh University when my phone rang and the then MSP for Edinburgh East Susan Deacon's name came up in the screen. I answered and she said "I am in the parliament and I have several large men dressed as vikings before me including Tavish Scott who is also so attired. They're down to promote Shetland's famous Up Helly Aa Festival and would like to go into a school tomorrow to talk about such things!" "Sure" I said, as there seemed little other option and so I then made the immortal call to the Director of Education which began, "Hi, I've just been called by a dozen vikings who would like to visit a school..."

Not sure what it tells us about Tavish Scott's potential as a party leader but its a surreal wee tale anyway!

No comments:

Surgery Times

1st Wed @ Piershill Library, 30 Piershill Terrace.
2nd Wed @ Craigentinny Community Centre, Loaning Rd.
3rd Wed @ Duddingston Primary School, Duddingston Rd.

All 7:15pm -7:45pm

and the last Sat. Lochend YWCA, 198 Restalrig Road South
12noon -1pm


(no appointment needed, all during school terms)
Printed and Published by Ewan Aitken on behalf of the Edinburgh Labour Party, 78 Buccleuch Street, Edinburgh, EH8 9NH