Where we are and where we will be

Where we are and where we will be
The idea of Edinburgh is a combination of place, soul and symbolic leadership of a nation

Saturday 24 May 2008

A kick above the rest

As a councillor I receive lots of invitations to events. Most of them I can't go because my diary is so full, to but its nice to be asked. Even if I am "free" on a Saturday evening however, I rarely go to things on a because that's family time and I don't get nearly enough of that.

Then every so often invitation comes along for a Saturday that intrigues me as happened tonight. I was asked to attend the Scottish show and championships for Kok Sool Won "martial art and for reasons that I can't explain, I agreed to attend.

I knew nothing about it but learned today that it is Korean in origin and was founded by one In Hyuk Su. He is the grandmaster... and he was there. In his 80s but seriously fit.

It was a brilliant event. A combination of ancient, almost liturgical ritual, dedicated training, discipline, agility that would have graced a gymnastics stage, energy and passion from the young people and more than a little humour.

I was glad I was not out there when they were swishing swords or breaking bits of wood with various parts of their anatomy but it I was very impressed.

It also made a change to go into a hall full of people in meadowbank stadium and get applauded... but that's another story altogether!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Video coverage of this event available on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojn5E7Assik and Portobelly Telly at http://porty.org.uk/tv/index.php?title=PHS%20Art%20Exhibition

Ewan said...

thanks bob.. do you mean this event or the one last night... I can't get youtube at the Council...

Ewan

Anonymous said...

Whoops, sorry I meant Friday's Art Exhibition at Portobello Town Hall.

Ewan said...

Bob that's good news. Are you going to put up the meeting last night as well?

Ewan

Surgery Times

1st Wed @ Piershill Library, 30 Piershill Terrace.
2nd Wed @ Craigentinny Community Centre, Loaning Rd.
3rd Wed @ Duddingston Primary School, Duddingston Rd.

All 7:15pm -7:45pm

and the last Sat. Lochend YWCA, 198 Restalrig Road South
12noon -1pm


(no appointment needed, all during school terms)
Printed and Published by Ewan Aitken on behalf of the Edinburgh Labour Party, 78 Buccleuch Street, Edinburgh, EH8 9NH