Where we are and where we will be

Where we are and where we will be
The idea of Edinburgh is a combination of place, soul and symbolic leadership of a nation

Thursday 1 May 2008

The (finally) sweet smell of success

A stink about sewage has us suddenly coming up smelling of roses!

There was a horrible leak of huge quantities of effluent into the Forth in April last year, right before the election, from the Seafield sewage plant, something notorious for its smells and struggles with effective plant management.

I remember it well because I was Leader of the Council at the time, trying to get re-elected against a barrage of criticism about Iraq, Council tax, memories of congestion charge, meadowbank etc against which our otherwise excellent record was being judged.

i got a phone call from an officer as I was leafleting Restalrig Square. There, that's how well I remember it! The voice said simply "There's been a major leak from Seafield"

Now I am not saying that was when I knew we wouldn't be in power but lets just say I don't think my heart sank lower all campaign. But I dealt with it and more importantly, the staff dealt with it and brilliantly.

Why am I telling you this. Well an independent report out today praises our response. Of course, the SNP/Libdem administration can't bring themselves to acknowledge our role, but they at least thank the staff, which is progress. And to those staff I add my thanks for work well beyond the call of duty.

It does make a change for their hard work to be recognised. I won't be holding my breath for it to be front page news however. that would be just too much to ask, wouldn't it!

No comments:

Surgery Times

1st Wed @ Piershill Library, 30 Piershill Terrace.
2nd Wed @ Craigentinny Community Centre, Loaning Rd.
3rd Wed @ Duddingston Primary School, Duddingston Rd.

All 7:15pm -7:45pm

and the last Sat. Lochend YWCA, 198 Restalrig Road South
12noon -1pm


(no appointment needed, all during school terms)
Printed and Published by Ewan Aitken on behalf of the Edinburgh Labour Party, 78 Buccleuch Street, Edinburgh, EH8 9NH