Where we are and where we will be

Where we are and where we will be
The idea of Edinburgh is a combination of place, soul and symbolic leadership of a nation

Wednesday 28 November 2007

Why I do what I do

Some days you get a reminder of why you do what you do.

Today was one such day.

I was at the Youth Buzz Agm. The Buzz is a bus converted into a youth club. (see picture) It offers satellite Internet link up, PlayStation's, sports, music decks etc but more importantly it's a space that young people feel is their own.

Its a project I and a couple of others started working on in 2004. I and local police inspector went to Lothian Buses and asked for an old bus and amazingly they gave me one and the project has gone from strength to strength since it finally got on the road in early 2005. I still chair the trust committee. You can read a very recent inspection report here.

The Buzz goes out 4 nights a week in different places in my ward (Craigentinny/Duddingston) and average attendance is around 30-40 teenagers doing different things but mostly just chilling. The staff are outstanding in the way they work with and for the young people.

To hear folk tonight talking about the difference it makes in young peoples lives was just brilliant. It put a lot of the other things I worry about in perspective.

No comments:

Surgery Times

1st Wed @ Piershill Library, 30 Piershill Terrace.
2nd Wed @ Craigentinny Community Centre, Loaning Rd.
3rd Wed @ Duddingston Primary School, Duddingston Rd.

All 7:15pm -7:45pm

and the last Sat. Lochend YWCA, 198 Restalrig Road South
12noon -1pm


(no appointment needed, all during school terms)
Printed and Published by Ewan Aitken on behalf of the Edinburgh Labour Party, 78 Buccleuch Street, Edinburgh, EH8 9NH