Where we are and where we will be

Where we are and where we will be
The idea of Edinburgh is a combination of place, soul and symbolic leadership of a nation

Sunday 11 November 2007

Remembrance Day



I wasn’t able to attend the Civic Remembrance Service at St Giles Cathedral because my wife is still not anything like fully fit and so I was on childcare. It meant however that I was able to go to the Remembrance service at my local church for the first time in several years

I was reminded by the faces I saw there that I know only attend on this Sunday every year of just how important it is to have a real and meaningful ritual of remembering every year in each community. I was also reminded that this is a remembering of real people. Its not about armies or militarism or victory or who is wearing a poppy. Its about people, real, flesh and blood people, some of whom died in places they or their families never knew, others who returned and carried the burden of knowing their friends had been left behind. Its also about those who waited (and in some cases are still waiting) back home, in hope and in fear for news that would either lift or sink their hearts.

No comments:

Surgery Times

1st Wed @ Piershill Library, 30 Piershill Terrace.
2nd Wed @ Craigentinny Community Centre, Loaning Rd.
3rd Wed @ Duddingston Primary School, Duddingston Rd.

All 7:15pm -7:45pm

and the last Sat. Lochend YWCA, 198 Restalrig Road South
12noon -1pm


(no appointment needed, all during school terms)
Printed and Published by Ewan Aitken on behalf of the Edinburgh Labour Party, 78 Buccleuch Street, Edinburgh, EH8 9NH