Where we are and where we will be

Where we are and where we will be
The idea of Edinburgh is a combination of place, soul and symbolic leadership of a nation

Thursday 10 April 2008

A wee reminder of the fundamentals of being a ward councillor first

I spent much of the morning discussing a gap site in my ward, in Restalrig Crescent to be exact, which has been an ongoing saga for nearly 5 years.

Originally allotments, it was used as the site office for refurbishments in the late 80s and early 90s and was never returned to any real use. Since then it has become a focus for activities that don't make for a quiet neighbourhood.

In 2004-7, I had a go at getting a youth club built there there along with some social housing. I got a group of young folk and a housing association and got detailed plans and a full funding package in place but I was but was beaten by planning.

So now I am looking at getting "sheltered" housing. though that seems to be a broader term than I first realised. I assumed that meant housing for pensioners but with the advent of individual care packages that allow folk to stay at home longer, "sheltered" housing now means "fully accessible" and could mean folk of varying ages who need a bit of support in a smaller home.

As ever, nothing is ever straightforward with these things but I will persevere. I am determined that one day that patch will be better used.

No comments:

Surgery Times

1st Wed @ Piershill Library, 30 Piershill Terrace.
2nd Wed @ Craigentinny Community Centre, Loaning Rd.
3rd Wed @ Duddingston Primary School, Duddingston Rd.

All 7:15pm -7:45pm

and the last Sat. Lochend YWCA, 198 Restalrig Road South
12noon -1pm


(no appointment needed, all during school terms)
Printed and Published by Ewan Aitken on behalf of the Edinburgh Labour Party, 78 Buccleuch Street, Edinburgh, EH8 9NH