Where we are and where we will be

Where we are and where we will be
The idea of Edinburgh is a combination of place, soul and symbolic leadership of a nation

Tuesday 22 April 2008

The answer is blowing in the wind

I heard Jim Mather MSP, Minister for Trade and Energy, speak for the first time recently and despite not agreeing with much of what he said and his reputation for communicating in management-speak, I actually found myself warming to the man. He came across as a straighforward and honest bloke, which was refreshing in some-one I regards as a political opponent.

However, that view has been tarnished with his decision about the Lewis windfarm. Not the detail, as I don't know enough about the case to judge, but the excuse.

He says that its "European Rules " that have scupperd this, Does that mean he liked it but Eupre stopped it. If the rules whad not been there he'd have gone and done it?

Such is my cyniasim about the SNP populism at all costs, that I read this ruling as being an attempt to be green and be populist at the same time. To those who objected he can say, "see I listened". To those who promoted the scheme he can say, "It wasny me, it was a big European rule boy who did it and ran away". either way he wins and we, the public don't. This is becoming a theme of thsi Givernment.

Shame. I'd have liked to have had an honest opponent for change...

No comments:

Surgery Times

1st Wed @ Piershill Library, 30 Piershill Terrace.
2nd Wed @ Craigentinny Community Centre, Loaning Rd.
3rd Wed @ Duddingston Primary School, Duddingston Rd.

All 7:15pm -7:45pm

and the last Sat. Lochend YWCA, 198 Restalrig Road South
12noon -1pm


(no appointment needed, all during school terms)
Printed and Published by Ewan Aitken on behalf of the Edinburgh Labour Party, 78 Buccleuch Street, Edinburgh, EH8 9NH