Where we are and where we will be

Where we are and where we will be
The idea of Edinburgh is a combination of place, soul and symbolic leadership of a nation

Sunday 29 June 2008

Decisions and their ramifications

I have spent most of today preparing for my new post as Secretary of the Church of Scotland's Church and Society Council.

Its going to be an adventure but the biggest challenge in the first few months with be the mental adjustment to not having the City Council as my main focus as it has been for the last 9 yeras. Although I remain a member of the City Council as Labour member of Craigentinny /Duddingston, it is now what I do as well as my main job, rather than it being my main job and that will be a big change for me.

Wendy Alexander faces a different but not unconnected adjustment. I didn't want her to resign but I think, given the highly politicised decision of the Parliamentary standards committee, (despite Salmonds denial), I do not think she was left with any choice. She needs now a quiet summer with her family and then I hope she will return to a role within the Labour Party that can make best use of her deep understanding of political life in Scotland and her ability to think about policy and political possibilities that few in any party can match

Despite some apparent similarities in our recent decisions, I have not been where she is but in some small way I think I have an understanding of what she has felt like in the last few days and she and her family are simply in my thoughts and prayers.

2 comments:

Taexalia said...

Wendy Alexander broke the law and it is only fitting that she step down.

Wishing a law breaker a peaceful summer is very nice, but somewhat unethical - especially when you, your council and your fellow politicians (of all parties) force people to live with daily abuse from people who install laminate flooring in flatted properties.

You are failing the community.

Ewan said...

Taexalia

Thank you for taking the time to write.

Wendy did not break the law. Had she done so she would have been prosecuted.

At present, laminate flooring is not illegal. I made an offer some time ago as to how you could progress your case and I await your reply.

Surgery Times

1st Wed @ Piershill Library, 30 Piershill Terrace.
2nd Wed @ Craigentinny Community Centre, Loaning Rd.
3rd Wed @ Duddingston Primary School, Duddingston Rd.

All 7:15pm -7:45pm

and the last Sat. Lochend YWCA, 198 Restalrig Road South
12noon -1pm


(no appointment needed, all during school terms)
Printed and Published by Ewan Aitken on behalf of the Edinburgh Labour Party, 78 Buccleuch Street, Edinburgh, EH8 9NH