Where we are and where we will be

Where we are and where we will be
The idea of Edinburgh is a combination of place, soul and symbolic leadership of a nation

Tuesday 3 June 2008

Another day another decision

I am aware that most of my posts are comments in various ways on the decisions and perspectives of others, something I do not apologise for, but tonight I want to do something different. I want to simply tell you about my day.

Today I had seven meetings and dealt with several constituents, including 3 who are in need of help having got themselves into trouble.

The meetings included folk wanting advice on getting their ideas across to the council, a trams update, a conversation with a former colleague now working in the Civil Service, a group of constituents planning a community project and a meeting with Trade Union representatives.

Nothing prepares you for this job. Nothing guides you about how to handle the variety or subjects not the breadth of demands. For each meeting I had to decide how to respond in a way that was consistent with what I believe, honest about what I could achieve and truthful about what I though of what was being presented without judging the presenters.

Why am I telling you this? Not for sympathy. That would be wasted (and probably unlikely!). Perhaps to give a wee hint about the challenge of democratic accountability and the needs and yet pressures of being as available as I can be. I don't know if I made the right decision in every case, In some, there is no "right decisions" only that it needed a decision and I needed to take decisions that I can defend and still be true to myself.

For if day reminded me of anything, it was that no-one can manage in political life, even at my lowly level without knowing what they believe about what matters and being true to oneself in all that we do. To do otherwise will not simply mean we make mistakes but we will not survive.

No comments:

Surgery Times

1st Wed @ Piershill Library, 30 Piershill Terrace.
2nd Wed @ Craigentinny Community Centre, Loaning Rd.
3rd Wed @ Duddingston Primary School, Duddingston Rd.

All 7:15pm -7:45pm

and the last Sat. Lochend YWCA, 198 Restalrig Road South
12noon -1pm


(no appointment needed, all during school terms)
Printed and Published by Ewan Aitken on behalf of the Edinburgh Labour Party, 78 Buccleuch Street, Edinburgh, EH8 9NH