Where we are and where we will be

Where we are and where we will be
The idea of Edinburgh is a combination of place, soul and symbolic leadership of a nation

Monday 9 June 2008

A big decision not taken lightly

Even though this post is about me it has, of course, been pre-empted by my esteemed colleague Andrew Burns who knows everything before anyone else it would appear!

Anyway, big decision time for me.

I will be announcing today that I am stepping down as Leader of the Labour Group on the City of Edinburgh Council to take up a post in the Church of Scotland as Secretary to the Church and Society Council. I allowed my name to forward for this post because a number of folk in the church whose view I respect encouraged me to apply. It is about doing what I have alway done but in a different place.

I will remain as the Labour Councillor for Craigentinny/Duddingston Ward on City of Edinburgh Council

The Church and Society Council, one of the 6 main departments of the Church of Scotland, develops the churches view on political, social and ethical issues and finds the best ways for those views to be heard at all levels of society, nationally and locally

I have always described myself as a minister who happens to be a politician. After 9 years at the heart of local government in Edinburgh and three years nationally as CoSLA spokesperson on Education, this post is the next step in that journey and I am very excited about the opportunities it offers.

I will remain a councillor and a Labour Group member but it would not be tenable to be speaking for the Church and for Edinburgh Labour.

It has been an honour and a privilege to serve as Leader of the Labour Group both when we were in power and now in opposition. I want to thank the Labour Group, all of whom have been hugely supportive of me in my time as Group Leader and I look forward to be able to offer the same high level of support to my successor.

This will have ramifications for this blog too. I will need to change its focus a little, otherwise I will cause that very confusion I am trying to avoid, but that is for another day and I certainly intend to keep blogging!

No comments:

Surgery Times

1st Wed @ Piershill Library, 30 Piershill Terrace.
2nd Wed @ Craigentinny Community Centre, Loaning Rd.
3rd Wed @ Duddingston Primary School, Duddingston Rd.

All 7:15pm -7:45pm

and the last Sat. Lochend YWCA, 198 Restalrig Road South
12noon -1pm


(no appointment needed, all during school terms)
Printed and Published by Ewan Aitken on behalf of the Edinburgh Labour Party, 78 Buccleuch Street, Edinburgh, EH8 9NH