Where we are and where we will be

Where we are and where we will be
The idea of Edinburgh is a combination of place, soul and symbolic leadership of a nation

Sunday 20 January 2008

Variety is the spice of life

A day of extremes and huge variety.

I began with a funeral. its been around 4 years since I conducted a whole funeral myself and this one, (for a lovely man called John Wood, who above all else, focused on his family and faced the adversity life brought with a smile, courage and determination) came to em through a set of circumstances that i doubt will arise again. i have no intention f doing funerals on a regular basis but it was interesting to see myself slipping into that old role so easily. It was standing room only and the pressure I feel to cradle the huge range of emotions is immense. On the other hand to be able to offer the ability to walk with folk through that experience and hopefully help them a little is a huge privilege and one I value a great deal

Then it was up to Princes street to help gather signatures in support of the campaign against the downgrading of the Sick Kids hospital. I have never before known so many folk wanting to sign a petition. There is a madness about this proposal and I hope the SNP Government will listen and listen well.

Back home and off to swim with my son up at the Commonwealth Pool. What is it about water and small boys. he just loves messing about being picked up and thrown, chasing, racing and so much ore. we are in for 90 minutes and it flys by.

A quick change back at the house and out to the Burns supper at Portobello Old Parish Church for Christian Aid where I am doing the immortal memory. There’s 150 people there and some real talent performing and then there's me. I am very nervous but the folk are so friendly and so i calm down and it goes well. This annual event has raised over £17,000 for Christan Aid over the years. A superb achievement.

Sadly the Pars unbeaten run is over and Edinburgh got gubbed by Toulouse so its not such a happy day for my teams

No comments:

Surgery Times

1st Wed @ Piershill Library, 30 Piershill Terrace.
2nd Wed @ Craigentinny Community Centre, Loaning Rd.
3rd Wed @ Duddingston Primary School, Duddingston Rd.

All 7:15pm -7:45pm

and the last Sat. Lochend YWCA, 198 Restalrig Road South
12noon -1pm


(no appointment needed, all during school terms)
Printed and Published by Ewan Aitken on behalf of the Edinburgh Labour Party, 78 Buccleuch Street, Edinburgh, EH8 9NH